Friday, July 24, 2015

What order do I teach the letters???

The idea of teaching one letter a week is old. It is not a good idea and it goes waaaaaay too slow for today's Kindergarten. I teach 3 to 4 letters a week. I follow Deanna Jump and Deedee Wills Guided Readers Units. These units work on 4 to 5 letters a week with AMAZING literature components to them. Seriously, if you are trying to work Story Study into lesson plans check out these units. They have everything already done and are PERFECT.

Ok, back to letter order. I get excited when it comes to the Guided Readers. The 4 to 5 letters a week is too much for my class, mainly because every Wednesday in my district is a minimum day. I just don't have the time. So, I separated them into 3 or 4. Here is my outline.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByGesVUoE-jQa0xlX3g1Tm9jU2M/view?usp=sharing
 You can download this outline as a PowerPoint file and edit it as you need. 

By teaching these letters together students will be able to compare them. They will see the differences between t, b, and f. They will compare the sounds. They will be able to use them more meaningfully in writing and identify them during their reading time. 

Along with the letters you see that I have my sight word list outlined. This is my FREE sight word Core Words unit on TpT.  I begin these units right away and expect my students to know at least 10 words by the end of the first 6 weeks of school. Here is the letter that goes home to parents:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByGesVUoE-jQVHJwZlZXeFY1V0E/view?usp=sharing

I know, I know, it sounds like a crazy lot. But, it's not and my students do rise to the occasion. As for those who are behind, those are the ones who get special time with me during Guided Reading to work on the skills they are still learning. The ones who are ready move ahead and the ones who need the one-on-one time get it. We call this.......say it with me......differentiation!! Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10 01 09 10